News & Notes
The GNOSIS editors' new book; spiritual directors; Japan's marathon monks; New Dimensions Radio celebrates an anniversary.
Introduction: The Illumined Heart
by Richard Smoley
Why the Grail only appears to the pure of heart.
Healing the Wounded King
by John Matthews
How the Grail Quest can help us repair our own inner damage.
The Mystery of Regeneration: The GNOSIS Interview with R.J. Stewart
by Richard Smoley
The noted writer on magic and Celtic spirituality reflects on Merlin, the Matter of Britain, and modern Paganism.
Where Is the Grail?
by Charles A. Coulombe
A survey of some of the objects that have been identified as the cup Christ used.
Jung and the Grail
by Ean Begg
C.G. Jung left the theme of the Grail to his wife to write about. But this archetype continued to surface in his own life as well.
Reclaiming the Path of Erotic Love
by Cynthia Bourgeault
Was Jesus celibate? What if he wasn't? Why spiritual love and physical love needn't be exclude each other.
The Priory of Sion Hoax
by Robert Richardson
Some claim that the Grail is the bloodline of Christ, perpetuated in the Merovingian dynasty of France. Where did this idea come from?
- Hidden Wisdom: A Guide to the Western Inner Traditions by Richard Smoley and Jay Kinney (Penguin Arkana 0-14-019582-3) The editors of Gnosis magazine explore the many esoteric traditions that
Western culture has to offer in this all-new book. Buy it
- Spiritual Wisdom of Haféz by Haleh Pourafzal and Roger Montgomery (Inner Traditions International 0-89281-667-8) New translations of Hafez are a mixed bag, but bring deserved
attention to the Sufi poet. Buy it
- Bees by Rudolf Steiner (Anthroposophic Press 0-88010-457-0) An enjoyable and provocative look at the world of ants and other social insects through the inner eyes of the great German clairvoyant. Buy it
- The Labyrinth of the World and the Paradise of the Heart by John Comenius (Paulist Press 0-8091-3739-9) The jewel in the crown of Czech literature offers spiritual counsel
from the era of the Thirty Year's War. Buy it
- The Psychic Mafia by M. Lamar Keene (Prometheus Books. 1-57392-161-0) Confessions of a fraudulent Spiritual medium reveals the tricks of the trade among psychic con artists. Buy it
- A Jewish Mother in Shangri-La by Rosie Rosenzweig (Shambhala 1-57062-353-8) A mother's account of her son's journey from suburban Judaism to Tibetan and Vietnamese Buddhism, and its effects on his family and
friends. Buy it
- The Hidden Encyclical of Pius XI by Georges Passelecq and Bernard Suchecky (Harcourt, Brace & Co. 0-15-100244-4) An intriguing investigation of a lost encyclical on Anti-Semitism
that was ordered by Pius XI in 1938 but never promulgated. Buy it
- Excalibur by Hudson Talbott (Morrow Junior Books 0-688-13380-0) Beautiful and powerful children's books bring the Arthurian stories to life for readers, young and old. Buy it
- King Arthur: The Sword in the Stone by Hudson Talbott (Morrow Junior Books. 0-688-09403-1) Buy it
- King Arthur and the Round Table by Hudson Talbott (Morrow Junior Books 0-688-11340-0) Buy it
About our covers:
FRONT: Original art by Steven Adler
BACK: The World card from a Celtic Tarot by Robert M. Place